Bitcoin in the News- January 2022 (2)
- 26 January 2022
- Faris Mali
1. The United States Federal Reserve released a white paper regarding a potential US DIGITAL CURRENCY. A Central Bank Digital Currency (CBDC) is the next wave of financial innovation leading to a cashless society. However there are concerns as it could lead to a social credit system, discourage savings and hacking. The latter being of great privacy concern as a CBDC app would most likely contain all of a citizen’s information (tax file numbers, health-care, passport and driver’s licences info…)
2. The world’s largest asset manager, BLACKROCK, with total Assets Under Management at US$10trillion will be filing to create a blockchain ETF. BlackRock already has over 400 ETFs accessible to investors (including mutual and managed funds) around the world.
3. Mixed Martial Artist and UFC champion FRANCIS NGANNOU retained his title this week and elected to receive half of his winnings in bitcoins. He joins a growing list of professional athlete requesting their pay come in bitcoin instead of fiat currency. These include Aaron Rodgers, quarterback of the Green Bay Packers, and the NBA’s highly decorated Klay Thompson of the Golden State Warriors.
4. Blockchain.com has added Tom Horton, current Director at Wal-Mart and former Chairman and CEO of American Airlines has been appointed to join the cryptocurrency’s board. This is in speculation to a potential IPO by the crypto company.
3. https://www.salmatoon.com/ufc-star-francis-ngannou-will-be-paid-in-bitcoin/; https://www.benzinga.com/markets/cryptocurrency/22/01/25069731/9-star-athletes-who-take-salary-endorsement-money-in-bitcoin-aaron-rodgers-klay-thompson-a